The All New TREMEC TKX 5 Speed Manual Transmission
Who or what is TREMEC? TREMEC is a manufacturer of automobile transmissions and drive train components who have been around for quite some time. Being around for quite some time they have an array of products. These products include manual transmissions, dual clutch transmissions, hybrid and EV drive train solutions, gears, shafts, clutches, mechanization systems, transmission control units, and control software.
A Staple to Mustang Owners:
If you own a classic mustang you have more than likely heard the term T5 transmission. The T5 has been the staple for manual transmission Mustangs since 1983 and continues to be the best for the average street car when it's time for replacements. Around 1998, TREMEC purchased the entire line of manual shift transmission from Borg Warner and have produced the entire line of Borg Warner light duty transmissions like the T5 and T56. But there are about 40 different versions of the T5 and if you have an older car, this is a perfect chance to upgrade to a better T5 than what you might have now for example upgrading to the all-new TREMEC TKX.
So, what is a TREMEC TKX?
The TREMEC TKX is a 5-speed RWD manual transmission developed solely for the aftermarket. Being well established in the industry for their relatively lightweight and well put transmission TREMEC has never failed on meeting the consumers expectations.
The TREMEC TKX is a new and improved transmission designed to meet performance and durability. It features superior shift abilities with smooth shifts at high RPM through the use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronized rings. At the same time, noise, vibration and harshness performance is optimized with a gear layout to best control stress levels, while providing structural stiffness with a ribbed, 3-piece aluminum housing. Durability is further optimized with oversized gear widths, gaskets at all flanges and caged needle bearings in all gear positions. The following is an overview of the features the new TREMEC TKX has to offer.
- 600 lb.-ft. of torque capacity; capable of engines speeds of 8,000 RPMs with shifts at 7,500 RPMs.
- Available in multiple gear ratio configurations (See specifications).
- Designed for multiple applications with three shifter locations.
- Compact, end-loaded design provides clearance in most transmission tunnels without floor modifications.
- Increased case strength with three-piece aluminum housing provides outstanding structural stiffness.
- Gaskets at all flanges simplifies installation and eliminates fluid leaks.
- Superior shift-ability through use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings made of sintered bronze and carbon
- All gears and shafts made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615), providing increased torque carrying capacity.
- Equipped with a high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean, crisp shifts.
- Robust design with internal three-rail shift system and steel shift forks.
- Wide gear width increases gear life and torque capacity.
- Separate GM and Ford case patterns and input configurations. Integrated GM and Ford transmission mount pattern
If you’re looking for lightweight, durability, performance, and reliability, the TREMEC TKX transmission is an ideal choice for your aftermarket project.
California Pony Cars now stocks the all new TREMEC TKX transmission available online and for pickup.